Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sakhi Series : 90 ( Guru Gobind Singh ji and a 'Guru ka-Lal' )

Guru Gobind Singh ji and a  'Guru ka-Lal' 

aisae gur ko bal bal jaaeeai aap mukath mohi thaarai ||1|| rehaao ||

- I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice to such a Guru; He Himself is liberated, and He carries me across as well. ||1||Pause||

kavan kavan kavan gun keheeai a(n)th nehee kashh paarai ||

Which, which, which of Your Glorious Virtues should I chant? There is no end or limitation to them.

- Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 1301 

Once a 'Kalal' - a wine distiller, came for the Guru ji's darshan and stood at a distance, for the 'caste' of the Kalal was considered low in the social hierarchy.  

When Guru Gobind Singh Ji, saw him he said, "Come in and sit with all of us in the tent." The man quivered, hesitated and said, "How can I, the lowest of the low, sit in the assembly of the gods? Guru Ji, I am a kalal whose mere sight pollutes."

On hearing this, Guru Sahib instructed His musicians and bards, to welcome the man with music and songs and coming down from his couch to bless him. He said, "You are not a kalal, but a 'Guru ka-Lal', 'a Ruby of the Guru.' Who has such love for us? 

thaerae kavan kavan gun kehi kehi gaavaa thoo saahib gunee nidhhaanaa ||

Which, which of Your Glorious Virtues should I sing and recount, Lord? You are my Lord and Master, the treasure of excellence.

thumaree mehimaa baran n saako thoo(n) t(h)aakur ooch bhagavaanaa ||1||

I cannot express Your Glorious Praises. You are my Lord and Master, lofty and benevolent. ||1|| 

mai har har naam dhhar soee ||

The Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is my only support. 

jio bhaavai thio raakh maerae saahib mai thujh bin avar n koee ||1|| rehaao ||

If it pleases You, please save me, O my Lord and Master; without You, I have no other at all. ||1||Pause||

- Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 735

No comments: